8 Foods that cause pimples

Foods that cause pimples

What Foods Aggravate Pimples? 

Acne is a common skin condition that affects both men and women of all ages. Excess production of sebum on the skin due to inflammation and other reasons can cause acne. It can also be caused by several factors, including diet. Your diet has a lot to do with how healthy your skin is. Certain foods aggravate pimples, while others help in getting rid of them.

If you are trying to get rid of acne scars, it is important that you look at your diet and see what might be causing your acne. About 80% of acne cases are due to heredity or genetics. If your parents had acne, there is a strong chance you will too. 20% of the time, it is caused by excessive exposure to the sun, poor hygiene, and stress. These are all things you can control.

There are several food items that can cause pimples and if you do not know it already, you might be eating those foods right now. This article contains a list of those foods.

How Do Oily And Sugary Foods Trigger Acne?

You might not realize it, but there is a connection between acne and what you eat.  Oily and sugary foods can make your skin worse and more prone to breakouts. If you want clearer, healthier skin you need to change your diet. Let's take a look at why oily and sugary foods cause acne and what to do about it.

When we eat oily and sugary foods, it disrupts our blood sugar level, which in turn aggravates the oil production of our skin. When our blood sugar level rises rapidly, it causes the body to release insulin, which induces our oil glands to produce more oil and hence increases the risk of acne and pimples.

The first step that you should follow to prevent acne is to reduce the number of oily and sugary foods that you eat during the day. Even eating these types of food once a week for a few months can cause acne breakouts on your face. But this factor in regards to pimples is not pertinent to everyone. You need to check whether or not oily and sugary foods are the reason behind your pimples. 

If you can see breakouts just after one or two days of eating chocolates or some deep-fried foods, you can get a confirmation that your acne is due to your poor eating habits. 

Is It Safe to Try Home Remedies?

Pimple, as we all know is that irritating red bump that appears on the skin and is generally caused due to clogged pores and build-up of oil and dead skin. Having pimples all over your face or just at one particular spot can cause great concern as it affects your self-esteem and confidence.

Treatment for pimples must be home-based as it is safer, more natural and has fewer chances for side effects. However, you will need to keep in mind the following: too much of anything is bad and home remedies are not backed by clinical trials. Hence, all the remedies mentioned here must be followed in moderation so as to obtain positive results.

An Anti-Acne Gel made with natural ingredients and with no side effects can also be used to combat skin issues. Mars by GHC’s Anti-Acne Gel is fortified with the goodness of glycolic acid, niacinamide, salicylic acid, zinc and aloe vera. It can show visible results within 4 weeks and can prevent future breakouts by unclogging the pores.

8 Foods That Can Trigger Pimples

There is a saying that a workout makes you look good and food makes you fit. And that is true. However, what you eat and what you drink matter a lot. It is important to know that what we consume is not just food, but it is our daily supplements as well.

There are many causes of pimples but poor lifestyle and eating habits are known to trigger and aggravate the condition of all types of acne.

Here are some of the foods that cause acne:

  1. Whey protein: You know that whey protein is an amazing source of protein. But it turns out that whey protein can cause acne and pimples too. The amino acids in whey protein can stimulate insulin production, which has been linked to the development of acne.
  1. Chocolate: It is found that chocolate and some other food items contain a high concentration of elements that can cause hormonal disturbances in the body. These hormonal disturbances affect the production of sebum which makes the skin more oily and hence causes pimples.
  1. Pasta: Pasta is very high in carbohydrates and purines which cause acne breakouts. Too much pasta can also overload your blood with too much sugar, which can cause cysts and boils. 
  1. Omega-6 Fats: Diets containing high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids have been linked to the development of acne and pimples. This can be reversed by increasing the intake of omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. Fish and walnuts are two of the most popular foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. 
  1. Fast Foods: Fast food items, such as burgers, nuggets, hot dogs, french fries, sodas and milkshakes, are mainstays of a typical Western diet and may increase acne risk as they are rich in refined carbohydrates, fats and calories. 
  1. Dairy Products: Milk intake can increase insulin levels, which may worsen acne severity. Studies also found that young adults who regularly consumed milk or ice cream were four times more likely to suffer from acne.
  1. Alcohol: Alcohol consumption can create an imbalance in estrogen or testosterone levels that causes our skin to produce more sebum. This results in the clogging of pores with oil and bacteria, eventually leading to breakouts.
  1. Refined Grains: Refined grains have a high glycemic index that can raise blood sugar levels. Insulin makes the androgen hormones active, leading to faster sebum production. This eventually leads to acne.

Take Away

Pimples are very common among teenagers. There are many reasons for pimple formation. Sometimes it might be due to hormonal imbalance in the body. Sometimes due to excessive oil secretion in the body.

Acne is a complex and often misunderstood skin condition that affects people of all ages, ethnicities and both genders. Breakouts can vary widely from one person to another and their treatments range from creams to lasers and even home remedies but we highly recommend not to pop your pimples as they can result in scarring.

Delayed Popup with Close Button
Offers Banner